Total Pageviews

Monday, August 8, 2011

Chasing Your Dreams

I recently told a friend of mine that I wasn't sure what my next blog post would be about. Little did I know I would get my inspiration from Darren Sharper's hall of fame speech. Sharper stood in front of an audience and began talking about accomplishing his goals. Although I cannot quote him exactly, he told the audience that there is a reason people say they are chasing after their goals. No one says I'm walking after, or crawling after their goals.

You chase after your goals.

It might sound obvious to many people, but for me it spoke volumes. I've always been someone with lofty, but realistic goals. In my running career this has probably helped me and hurt me. I've set the bar high and accomplished what I wanted, only making me realize how hard work pays off. However, I've also set the bar too high and many a times come up short, only feeling let down and unaccomplished. Yet this summer, being a summer where a major goal of mine is within reach, I have found the phrase chasing after my goal to be very literal. All summer I have been chasing after my goal. In fact, I've been chasing after this goal for as long as I can remeber. Yes, I did lose my way a few times along the path to it, but in the end I am here and it is within reach. When I made this goal, it was too high. Yet today, it no longer is. Have I accomplished it yet? No and I may not, but I've tried. I put in the work and I'm anxious to see where I will end up.

That's life. We may never accomplish all we set out to in life. However, if we never try, and we never fail, we can never succeed. If we never set the bar too high, we may never know just how much we actually can accomplish. Yes, we will be let down. Yes, we will feel unaccomplished, but one day we just might actually get there. Even if we never do, we still will land amonst the top.

You can't walk after your dreams. You need to chase them

No comments:

Post a Comment