Total Pageviews

Monday, November 14, 2011

Defining

I don't know where we went wrong. I'm sure my 8 teammates who were with me along with my coach are all thinking that same thought. The truth is, none of us know where we went wrong. We felt ready and we felt determined. All of us had the same thoughts going into Saturdays race. We were returning 4 of our top 5 from last years 10th place team and we were coming off a solid performance at the conference meet the week before.

We felt like we were the team.

I guess we weren't.

The truth is, this blog post has been written and deleted numerous times. I just don't know what to write. I want to write, but cannot think of what to write. I don't want to talk about everything working out for a reason or you win some you lose some. I don't even want to talk about how running isn't everything or how you cannot define yourself by one moment. I don't want to write about these things because it would be shallow of me to write about something I did not firmly believe in.

Do I think we are good? Yes, I think we are great, but 10 years from now no one will care about what I think. Ten years from now people will only look back at the results and those results say we weren't good.

There are many different variables that go into racing. Variables that to the outside eye are non-existent. Variables such as the 40 mph winds we ran into or the pancake flat course we ran on. Yet none of these variable matter. We did not show up when we needed to. Do I think we can bounce back? Absolutely. We're too strong to not bounce back, but do I think it stings? Hell yes. This will sting for a very long time. This is be in the back of our minds for a very long time.

This will define us until we prove otherwise.

I guess that's how life works too. You are defined by your failures until you have enough success to prove to people otherwise.

We are allowed to be confused. We are allowed to question why, but above all, we must look ahead and prove to those outsiders that we are capable of much much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment